IADC Deepwater Well Control Guidelines 2nd Ed.
Published by: IADC, 2015
182 pgs., 40 colored images, 7 black & white images, 43 tables
The 2nd edition of the groundbreaking “IADC Deepwater Well Control Guidelines” is available in print and electronic formats. The deepwater guidelines include new content on operational risk management, sometimes called process safety, with additional new and refreshed content on well integrity, well planning, rig operations, equipment, procedures, training and drills, and emergency response. The year-long project was led by Louis Romo, BP, Chairman of the Deepwater Well Control Guidelines Task Force, and Moe Plaisance, DODI, Executive Advisor, with support from nearly 100 top-level experts.
The aim of these Guidelines is to facilitate safe and efficient deepwater drilling operations. This important publication provides guidance for maintaining primary well control, applying secondary well control methods and responding to an emergency in the event of a blowout. Each chapter is intended to facilitate the rig team’s primary task of maintaining and optimizing control of the well.
Six chapters tackle the following vital information, key to maximizing safety and efficiency in subsea rig operations.
- Operational Risk Management and Well Integrity (James Hebert, Diamond Offshore Drilling Inc, chairman): Barrier installation and maintenance for the life of the well;.
- Well Planning and Rig Operations (Brian Tarr, Shell, chairman): Relevance of well planning and well design to well control;
- Equipment (Peter Bennett, Pacific Drilling, chairman): Typical well control equipment used on floating drilling rigs;
- Procedures (Earl Robinson, Murphy Oil Corp, chairman): Kick prevention, detection and mitigation to maintain/regain control.
- Training and Drills (Benny Mason, Rig QA International, chairman): Planning, conducting and continuously improving deepwater well control training and drills;
- Emergency Response (John Garner, Boots and Coots, chairman): Activities and resources to manage a well control emergency.
The IADC Deepwater Well Control Guidelines also include an appendix defining important acronyms and terms.